Fresh homemade bread is one of life’s simple pleasures! One taste of this hearty sandwich loaf, and you’ll never want to buy bread from the store again.
Oatmeal Milk Bread
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 ¼ tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp old-fashioned rolled oats
- Measure out approximately 1 tbsp (15g) per cup (240g) of flour in the recipe (round up... 2 ½ cups = 3 tbsp for instance) and half of the liquid into a sauce pan.
- Cook over medium-low heat; stirring constantly until trails are visible. It will look like mashed potatoes when it's done.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining liquid and allow to cool to at least 110 °F (120 °F+ will kill yeast!)
- With a dough hook, stir all remaining dry ingredients together in a stand mixer then add the butter and egg yolk.NOTE: This can also be mixed by hand if you don't have a stand mixer.
- Slowly add the tangzhong mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Start out on a low speed until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead the dough on a medium speed until it is relatively smooth, keeping in mind that the oats will add a rougher texture to the dough. It should still form a ball. NOTE: If you wish to knead by hand, don't be tempted to knead in more flour. It will be a little sticky at first, but will knead into a smooth dough... keep at it. This will probably take 10 minutes of kneading.
- In a warm spot (65 °F - 100 °F) cover and allow the dough to proof and double in size it should take about 30-35 mins
- Expel most of the gas and shape into an 8 inch log, and place in a lightly greased standard loaf pan (8 ½ x 4 ½ inch).
- Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to proof until it domes 1 inch over the top of the pan. This takes about 20-30 minutes typically.
- Toward the end of your second proof, preheat the oven to 350 °F
- Brush the top of the loaf with egg white (you won't need all of it) and sprinkle with additional oats if desired.
- Bake the loaf for around 35 mins uncovered to an internal temperature of 190 °F. If you want a lighter color you may wish to tent lightly with foil when you reach your desired color. The loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom after being removed from the baking pan.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely before cutting for best final texture.