Henry's White Sandwich Bread with a Pre-Ferment
Discover the joy of crafting your own delightful White Sandwich Bread with a Pre-Ferment, following Henry's recipe. This classic bread offers a tender crumb, perfect for your favorite sandwiches or toasts. With the added magic of a pre-ferment, you'll achieve a depth of flavor and texture that elevates your baking prowess. Let's dive into the art of breadmaking and create a loaf that's as delicious as it is versatile.
- For the Pre-Ferment Starter:
- 235 grams 1 3/4 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 gram 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (SAF Red or Gold)
- 5 grams 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 150 grams 2/3 cup cold filtered water
- For Henry's White Sandwich Bread:
- 715 grams 5 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 8 grams 2 teaspoons instant yeast (SAF Red or Gold)
- 14 grams 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 8 grams 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Pre-Ferment Starter
- 60 ml 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 60 ml 1/4 cup dried milk powder
- About 480 ml 2 cups cold filtered water
- Pre-Ferment (Starter):
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, and salt. Add the cold filtered water and stir until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for about an hour. Then, transfer the bowl to the refrigerator and allow it to chill overnight.
- Henry's White Sandwich Bread:
- Using an electric mixer with a dough hook, combine the flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in the mixer's bowl.
- Incorporate the Pre-Ferment and room temperature butter. Gradually add cold filtered water while mixing on low speed until you achieve a soft, tacky dough.
- Knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes or until it turns smooth and elastic, cleaning the bowl as it goes. Watch the original video for a tip on knowing when your dough is properly kneaded.
- Grease two loaf pans with butter or cooking spray.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a rectangle approximately 23 x 30 cm (9 x 12 inches) on a floured surface.
- Roll up the rectangles tightly from the short end and place the seam side down into the greased pans. Cover the pans with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until doubled, around an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) with the oven rack in the center position.
- Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes until it turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After baking, let the loaves rest on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans. Allow the bread to cool completely before slicing.
Remember to adjust ingredient quantities based on your specific needs, and feel free to experiment with variations to make this recipe your own.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!